Stanhoe ♦ Norfolk
Grape Cottage details
Cosy sitting room with brick open fireplace and beams
New cottage kitchen including ceramic hob, electric fan oven, microwave and breakfast bar
Bathroom: WC, full size bath and shower
The cosy beamed sitting/dining room, with brick fireplace (for log fires in the winter) has freeview digital TV, DVD player and radio/CD player, two comfy sofas and dining table and chairs. A wooden latched door leads into the well-equipped kitchen, with electric cooker, fridge-freezer and microwave, and the breakfast area has a double window opening onto the garden. Go through the rear lobby (with washing machine) to the bathroom and toilet, stairs and door to the garden.
Spacious double bedroom
Separate twin bedded room
Both bedrooms have exposed beams and views
Travel cot/Z bed available on request (own beddding required
for travel cot)
Upstairs is a spacious double bedroom and separate twin room (please note: beds are 26 wide). Both rooms have exposed beams and lovely views over farmland countryside.
Long, lawned garden, fully fenced
Garden furniture and barbecue (provided)
Parking is available for two cars outside front door
Outside, there is a gravelled area with table and chairs, two sun loungers and a small barbecue for those long, summer evenings. Beyond is an enclosed lawn area, with trellis fence and gate to the natural part of the garden where dogs can be exercised.
The cost of full central heating, hot water and electricity is included in the price of your stay, as is bed linen and teatowels. Children are welcome and a travel cot can be provided on request (but please bring your own bedding for this). Your well-behaved pet is also welcome, but downstairs only please! (there is a small additional charge).
We regret smoking is forbidden on the premises.
Access and fire statements are provided below.
Access Statement for Grape Cottage, Stanhoe,
· The living room step drop is 14cm to the floor, which is carpetted in shortpile honey coloured wool carpet. There is a small non-slip mat immediately below the step. The floor is now level throughout the ground floor of the cottage. Light switches for the living room, porch and outside light are on the right, 110cmH. Lighting is by wall lights and table lamps. There is a double power socket behind the door 53cmH.
· Along the righthand wall is an opening casement window, next to which is the dining table and 4 chairs. The wooden table has 2 drop-leaves and is max opened size 90cmWx138cmLx75cmH. The wooden chairs have open rounded backs.
· On the wall to the left of the window is a redbrick chimneybreast and hearth protruding 22cm into the room and 135cmW, with working grate. In the right alcove is a wooden shelf with cupboard below housing electricity consumer unit. On the shelf are the TV and DVD player, each with remote controls. The left alcove is shelved and has HiFi/CD player with remote control, books, maps and guide books, and a selection of tourist leaflets. In the cupboard below at floor level are childrens books and games.
· On the wall opposite the front door is the door to the kitchen, 62cmWx190cmH, with radiator on wall to the right and 2-way light switch 110cmH. On this wall, next to the bookshelves, is a double power socket 53cmH.
· There are 2 2-seater sofas, fabric covered, and a nest of small sidetables, all moveable. There is a small rug in front of the hearth.
In the rear lobby, on the left wall are light switches 110cmH for
the lobby, stairs and outside the back door, and the boiler programmer and switch
140cmH. Lighting is by a central ceiling light and the ceramic tile flooring
continues level from the kitchen. The boiler is to the left, with 2 fire
extinguishers (foam and dry powder)on the floor next to it. The Bendix
washing machine stands on a shallow plinth, and the external door to the
garden is at the end of the wall, hinged on the right with handle/lock on the
left 120cmH and 3mmH sill to outside. On the adjacent wall are 4 coat
hooks180cmH on which hang a broom, mop and bag for barbecue, then the
bathroom door, 65cmWx190cmH, hinged on the right with latch and bolt on the
Bathroom, Shower & WC
Stairs and Landing
The main bedroom is level from the top of the stairs, with carpet extended from landing. Lighting is by spotlights and table lamps. The door as seen from the landing is max 67cmWx190cmH, hinged on the left with latch on right 125cmH. To the right on entering is the light switch 110cmH and double power socket 53cmH, then the radiator.
The pine 4'6 double bed (height 50cm incl mattress) has a cotton/polyester-filled mattress topper, non-feather pillows and duvet and all bedding is polycotton with extra fleece blanket.
There are bedside chests on each side of the bed with table lamps, 2 chests of drawers and a table with mirror and chair between the windows.
To the left on entering, the built-in wooden wardrobe protrudes into the room next to the window. There are two windows on the wall opposite the door, both low level casement opening. There is a rocking chair next to the window.
The second bedroom is entered level from the landing, carpeting extending from there as above. Lighting is by wall lights above the bedheads and on the wall to the right of the door and a table lamp.
The light switch is on the left wall on entry, beyond
the built-in wooden cupboard.
NOTE: As the beds are 2 6 wide, they are officially
classified as child beds but they are full length and are available for use
by all guests.
The paved area from the back door to the gravelled area
is approx 4.5m, from the gravelled area to the
steps to lawn approx 2.3m.There are 2 steps up to
the lawned area, 1st
92cmWx45cmDx7cmH and 2nd 92cmWx92cmDx12cmH. There is an arch onto the
lawn, 92cmW. Immediately to the right is the concrete plinth on which the oil
tank is sited. The remainder of the garden is firstly level lawn, with uneven
patches, then becoming very uneven beyond the washing line. A trellis fence
with gate separates the the two parts and dogs may
be exercised in the rear section.
The nearest shop and post office is a Spar general store in Docking village, 2mls west on B1155.
There is a variety of shops and a petrol station (not 24hr) in Burnham Market, 3mls east on B1155.
THIS DOCUMENT HAS BEEN PREPARED AS CAREFULLY AS POSSIBLE BUT ALL MEASUREMENTS/DIMENSIONS STATED MUST BE REGARDED AS APPROXIMATE AND ARE FOR INFORMATION AND GUIDANCE ONLY. THE OWNERS CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INACCURACIES UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOEVER.
Contact Telephone and Email Address
We welcome your feedback to help us improve continually.
FIRE SAFETY RISK ASSESSMENT
Grape Cottage is a mid-terrace two-storey cottage built in the 19th century of brick and flint with a tiled roof. There are three external doors, two at the front and one at the back of the property, on the ground floor and the windows at front and rear, upstairs and downstairs, are mainly casement with key locks.
RISK TO STRUCTURE
There are no known combustible materials used in the structure of the building and so the risk of accidental fire occurring in the actual structure is very low. No gas is connected and the heating system is oil-fired with radiators, the oil tank being situated within compulsory safety regulatory distance from the building and the boiler being situated in the rear lobby on an external wall of the property. The property was completely rewired in 2010 and a new consumer unit installed. There are no portable heating appliances. There is an open fireplace in the living room and the chimney is swept regularly.
DESCRIPTION AND POSSIBLE SOURCES OF RISK
Floor coverings are carpet to living room, stairs and bedrooms, with ceramic tiling in the kitchen, rear lobby and bathroom and quarry tiles in the front porch.
a) Living Room
External door to front of property opens into a brick porch area with a further door opening directly into the room and guests are advised to leave key in the lock when they are indoors. Fireplace has brick area in front of hearth and is protected by a portable firescreen. Electrical appliances ( TV, DVD, CD/Hifi unit, table lamps) are fitted with fused plugs and purpose-made extension leads are used if necessary. The power consumer unit is located in the cupboard next to the window. Casement window to front has key lock and can be opened wide for emergency exit if necessary; key is kept visible adjacent to the window but not in the lock for security reasons. Furniture complies with BS fire regulations.
The bedrooms are accessed from a small landing at the top of the staircase. Electrical appliances (bedside lamps and hairdryer) are fitted with fused plugs. Beds and bedding comply with BS fire regulations. Casement windows to front in main bedroom have key locks and can be used as emergency exit if necessary; key is kept visible adjacent to the window but not in the lock for security reasons. A torch is kept on the window ledge. 2nd bedroom has one casement window with key lock which can be used as emergency exit if necessary, key is kept visible adjacent to the window but not in the lock for security reasons. Both bedrooms contain wastebins made of metal. A hardwired smoke/heat alarm (with battery backup) is fitted above the top of the staircase..
All appliances, including the cooker (hardwired), are electric and fitted with fused plugs. The floor is surfaced in non-flammable ceramic tiling. Exit is either through the doorway to the living room and front door, through the doorway to the rear lobby and external door to the back of the property or through the casement windows which open fully to the outside . Guests are advised to leave the key in the lock of the back door when they are indoors. A fire blanket is mounted on the wall to the right of the door to the rear lobby and a torch is kept in the drawer to the left of the cooker.
Exit is through the door to the rear lobby and external rear door. There are no electrical sockets in the bathroom and lighting/extractor fan is by means of a pullcord switch.
e) Rear Lobby
This contains external door to the property and guests are advised to keep the key in the lock when indoors. The oilfired boiler is vented to the outside of the property. Heating/hot water programmer box is located on the wall to the side of the boiler and room thermostat on the wall by the washing machine. Foam and dry powder fire extinguishers are located on the floor next to the boiler. Coal and wood for the living room fire are kept in the front porch area.
PERSONS USING THE PROPERTY
The property is let as a holiday rental and annually assessed by the Quality in Tourism scheme. Guests include couples and families with young children and babies, and their pets if applicable. Other visitors to the property include the owners, manager and his staff (cleaners) and any specifically appointed professionals eg electrician, builder etc.
ACTION TAKEN TO MINIMISE RISKS OF FIRE
1. A notice giving advice of what to do in case of fire is displayed on the door between the living room and kitchen.
2. The guest information book gives further advice about emergency exits and safe practices when using appliances or lighting the fire in the living room.
3. Fuel for the living room fire is kept in the front porch area; matches for lighting are kept out of reach of children on the top shelf to the left of the fireplace in the living room.
4. Guests are reminded to dispose of ashes safely and to use the fireguard provided.
5. A notice of emergency telephone numbers is displayed in the kitchen together with directions to the nearest public telephone box.
6. Hardwired smoke alarms are fitted downstairs and upstairs and the backup batteries are checked regularly by the owners and manager.
7. The property is no-smoking throughout and notice to this effect is displayed on the back of the front door, in the visitor information book and on literature and booking forms.
8. Battery torches are available, one in the kitchen and one in the main bedroom.
9. Wastepaper bins in the living room and bedrooms are made of metal.
10.Council wastebins are kept outside in the parking area, well away from the building.
11.Electrical appliances, plugs and leads are regularly checked by the owners and manager and replaced if there any signs of wear or other irregularity.
12.Any electrical work is carried out by qualified electricians and the oil-fired boiler is serviced regularly by an authorised technician; the chimney is regularly swept by an authorised chimney sweep.
13.The property is checked weekly inside and out by the manager for any defects; in the case of any being found, the owners are notified and appropriate action is taken as quickly as possible.
The owners and manager are aware of the dangers of accidental fire and are committed to ensuring as far as possible that all visitors are also aware and take reasonable precautions to prevent it.